CHATMAN’S ARMY MINISTRY
“Romans 12:13-16 – Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality. Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not. Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep. Be of the same mind one towards another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.”
MISSION OF CHATMAN’S ARMY: As an encouragement ministry of the church, Chatman’s Army strives to enhance the spiritual and moral welfare of congregants and visitors as they arrive at church services. This would include greetings, distribution of church programs, assisting the elderly, women and children with walking into and out of the church, offering senior assistance parking services and providing an on-site personal security presence during church services. In addition, Chatman’s Army works closely with both the Hospitality Ministry and the Transportation Ministry of Zion Baptist Church.
COMPOSITION OF CHATMAN’S ARMY MINISTRY: Members of Chatman’s Army generally have the following spiritual gifts: Hospitality, Mentoring and Service. The Chairperson of Chatman’s Army is Deacon Joseph J. Dyson. The Members of Chatman’s Army are: Brother Raymond Anderson, Deacon Joseph J. Dyson, Deacon Donald Gholston, Trustee Leroy Johnson, Brother Michael Jackson, Brother Brian J. Saunders, Trustee David J. Saunders, Brother Eric Sewell, Brother Harvey Thomas, Trustee Johnnie Fairfax Wheeler, and Brother Charles Williams. Chatman’s Army usually meets on the first Saturday of every month at 9:30am in Room #5 of the Educational Wing at Zion Baptist Church.
EXAMPLES OF CHATMAN’S ARMY MINISTRY FUNCTIONS ARE:
● Welcoming and greeting member congregants and visitors to Sunday Morning Worship Service;
● Providing senior assistance parking services to member congregants and visitors during Sunday Morning Worship Service;
● Providing on-site security presence during Sunday Morning Worship Service;
● Assistance with YCLC “Pluck a Feather” campaign and Men’s Ministry “Operation Joy” campaign; and
● Offering Chatman’s Army services for a variety of church-sponsored activities and events such as revivals, ministry anniversary celebrations, funerals, special fellowship programs and holiday services.
ONGOING INITIATIVES FOR THE MOVING FORWARD INTO YEAR 2017 INCLUDE:
● Continue with the promotion and utilization of Zion Baptist Church Chatman’s Army Ministry;
● Recruit younger men to Chatman’s Army for mentoring, community service and hospitality service;
● Request funds to purchase Chatman’s Army paraphernalia to include signature arm bands, name tags and traffic vests for a more uniform appearance as well as obtain additional walkie-talkies, oversized umbrellas, ice and snow removal apparatus and more handicap parking signage;
● Collaborate on congregational drills with the Risk Management Committee the Board of Trustees;
● Enhancement of “valet parking” services to include utilization of Carter Barron parking lot for shuttle service during Sunday Morning Worship Service as well as incorporate on-site security procedures to provide added security presence for Zion Baptist Church property and safety of congregants; and
● Organize a Chatman’s Army Ministry Appreciation Sunday Program.